Find answers to common questions so you can get things done.
How Do I... ?
- Step 1: Review the documents related to the funding, the FAQs and the Gift vs. Grant Matrix
- Step 2: Complete the checklist "Distinguishing Gifts vs. Grants"
- Step 3: If you determine that your transaction is a gift, submit all documentation to the University Foundation. If you determine that your transaction is a grant, submit all documentation to SPA.
Step 1: Create a myProposals Transmittal.
Step 2: Select "Do Not Mail" for the Submission Type field.
Step 3: Attach the draft agreement/award received from the sponsor, or UIUC's template agreement for the project.
Step 4: In the Supplemental Info - Project Characteristics tab, mark "Initiate Award Template -UIUC."
Step 5: Add a note to request that SPA respond via award/agreement negotiation or execution rather than proposal submission, and include sponsor contact information (e.g. sponsor contact name and email address).
- Step 1: Create and submit a request in the GC70 system.
- Step 2: Authorized signatory (and PI if applicable) receives system notification and approves or returns request.
- Step 3: SPA Post-Award reviews request and approves or disapproves it.
- Step 4: The system notifies the requestor of the decision via email. If approved, SPA Post-Award sets up or updates grant and fund info, notifying the requestor when it's complete.
- Step 1: Download the SPA Budget Template.
- Step 2: Calculate all personnel costs.
- Step 3: Calculate non-personnel costs.
- Step 4: (If included) Identify any subawards.
- Step 5: Determine the correct F&A rate to apply.
- Step 6: (If included) Calculate cost share using the same rates and rules as the sponsor budget.
- Step 1: The principal investigator or delegate should review each invoice with regard to applicable regulations and the terms and conditions of the award.
- Step 2: Ensure the costs are reasonable (e.g., in line with the amount of work being reported or deliverables submitted), allowable in accordance with the cost principles, and incurred within the project period.
- Step 3: Ensure any cost sharing commitment has been satisfied and that appropriate documentation is received from the subrecipient.
- Step 4: Investigate any charges which appear to be unallowable, unusual, or excessive, and resolve them prior to submitting the invoice for payment.
- Step 5: Submit the approved invoice for payment using the Request a General Encumbrance/Wire Transfer Payment form following the instructions found on the Non-Purchase Order Invoices webpage.
- Step 6: Make sure the final invoice is submitted by the subrecipient within the timeframe specified in the subaward or payment may be denied.
- Step 1: Determine if the transfer is allowable as outlined in Cost Transfers Principles and Expectations.
- Step 2: Determine if you need to process a current or non-current cost transfer.
- Step 3: Use a Banner Journal Voucher (JV) or Labor Redistribution form to transfer costs.
- Step 4: For current transfers, skip to step 5. For non-current transfers (both non-personnel and personnel transfers, complete a Form GC81: Cost Transfer Justification for Sponsored Projects.
- Step 5: Retain copies of supporting documentation for all cost transfers in your unit.
- Step 6: If the transferred or redistributed expenditures were previously confirmed, then unit contact information may be required to submit a request for an updated semi-annual confirmation report.